SJane

Selected Poems
Philippe Jaccottet
The Tiger's Wife
Téa Obreht
Charles Dickens (Penguin Lives)
Jane Smiley
The Mansion of Happiness
Robin Ekiss
Schriften
Erik Satie
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon I won't say I didn't enjoy some of this, and it took a long time for it to dawn on me, but it's YA, and I don't like YA. I mean, I like YA for my kids and young people (and would prefer my 15-year old daughter read more of it instead of the Michel Houellebecq she has asked for), but there's often something flat about it.

I tried to put my finger on what makes YA YA, but can't define it. It should be told from the point of view of a young adult, but that's not it, since Lord of the Flies is not YA, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man is not YA, and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter is not YA. I leave it to the genre experts who have poked around here more deeply than my impatient self.

Anyway, decent flavor-of-the-day plot. Quick, interesting read. But I can't pretend to have a lot of patience for self-absorbed, OCD young narrators with Aspergers/autism. At some point it seems this book is meant to test that patience/emotional generosity, and I will tell you that I failed.