SJane

Selected Poems
Philippe Jaccottet
The Tiger's Wife
Téa Obreht
Charles Dickens (Penguin Lives)
Jane Smiley
The Mansion of Happiness
Robin Ekiss
Schriften
Erik Satie
Under the Skin - Michel Faber I’m very happy to have had only the slightest idea what this was about when I started reading it. I thought it was a psychological thriller by the author of [b:The Crimson Petal and the White|40200|The Crimson Petal and the White|Michel Faber|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348171760s/40200.jpg|1210026] It turned out to be not only that but also 1) sci-fi 2) horror 3) literary fiction 4) mystery and 5) morality tale.

The main character is a funny-looking little lady named Isserly, who drives around Scotland picking up hunky hitchhikers. On the first couple pages you wonder if there’s some sexual deviation encouraging this mission, especially since the writer spends a lot of time poring over Isserly’s generous breasts. But then he moves to her weird face, her hair, her hands, her posture, her EYES.

The strengths of this book are the excellent writing, the imaginative plot and the slow reveal. A bit of the way in I was saying, well I’m surprised they haven’t made this a movie, then I was slapped with why it might be hard to do.

It was a very compelling read. I enjoyed having it as my weekend companion. Never before have I considered an animal with black fur and a snooty accent sexy.